Friday, May 13, 2005

Don't Tread on Me!

Friday 13 May, 2005. 10PM

It’s Friday the 13th today. I wonder if Indonesians are superstitious like us. I woke up at 4 AM. This is getting annoying. I want the jet leg to be over NOW. Simone and I have gotten into a nice rhythm of calling. We can actually talk twice a day, When it’s 6 AM in Michigan, it’s 5 PM for me. Yes, it’s expensive, but hearing her voice is absolutely worth the price.

Breakfast at the hotel is great. A true mixture of cultures. The buffet had Pad Thai, chicken congee (Chinese rice porridge), omelettes, sushi, hard rolls, donuts, croissants, beef bacon, and more. Of course, I feel I need to try everything.

I spent the day trying explaining the back-up system for computers and trying to develop a format for our business cards… yes, that sounds superficial, but you can’t understand how important business cards are. Everyone has mobile phones and you can’t keep track of the alphabet soup of organizations that are located here.

Someone has a sense of humor. One of the delegates printed up a “Don’t Tread on Me” flag and taped it on our office door while we were out for lunch. Ricardo suspects the Canadians, but I think it has a British smell to it.

We had a happy hour at the office today… got to know the Aussies and Bruce, a Canadian working for a Korean NGO… it’s a long story. Good time… they asked me to use the computer for music… I didn’t realize how bad my internal speakers sucked until we tried turned them up to full blast. Natasha, head of the Australian delegation, was very miffed that I didn’t have the Pogues or AC/DC. We ended up listening to a country mix… despite moans and groans. But all in all, a good time had by all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home